Privacy & Trust Center
Pear Deck’s Commitment to Privacy
As recognized leaders in student data privacy, Pear Deck is a proud signatory of the 2020 Student Privacy Pledge. Our dedicated Privacy Team works across all divisions of the company to implement proactive privacy protections.
Pear Deck recognizes the trust educators place in us — trust that our technologies help create engaging learning and trust that the company protects students’ privacy.
We envision a future where all learners are ready and inspired to solve the world’s greatest challenges, and that vision helps drive our decisions — from product design to our thoughtful approach to student privacy and data protection.
How Does Pear Deck Protect Student Data?
WE TAKE A PROACTIVE APPROACH TO PROTECT STUDENT INFORMATION.
- Pear Deck does not sell, trade, or rent student personal information.
- We are FERPA compliant, meaning that schools always maintain certain rights over their student data.
- We're a proud signatory of the 2020 Student Privacy Pledge, a public and legally-enforceable commitment regarding the collection, maintenance, and use of student personal information.
WE ENSURE SCHOOLS MAINTAIN CONTROL OVER THEIR DATA.
- Schools and districts that partner with Pear Deck own and control their Personal Student Information, and can request deletion of Personal Student Information at any time.
- Pear Deck does not use Personal Student Information beyond the purposes explicitly outlined in agreements.
WE UTILIZE INDUSTRY-LEADING BEST PRACTICES TO SAFEGUARD DATA.
- We apply a combination of technical, administrative, and physical safeguards to protect student and school data.
- We use military-grade TLS encryption across our products and websites to protect personal information in transit.
- We restrict access to Personal Student Information on a "need-to-know" basis.
WE CONTINUOUSLY TEST AND ASSESS TO IMPROVE PRIVACY PRACTICES.
- We constantly monitor state and federal laws to ensure our policies meet — and often exceed — legal requirements.
- We have a dedicated Privacy Team that works across all divisions of the company to implement proactive privacy protections.
- We work with experts and advocates to help us thoroughly examine industry-leading privacy topics.
Certifications and Partnerships
Pear Deck complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), the Children’s Online Privacy and Protection Rule (COPPA), and all applicable state-level student data privacy laws.
More About Our Approach to Student Data Privacy
WE DO NOT:
WE DO NOT use Personal Student Information to market or advertise to students, parents, or anyone else.
WE DO NOT sell, trade, or rent Personal Student Information under any circumstances.
WE DO process student data only if explicitly stated under contract with schools to perform specific educational functions.
WE DO affirm that schools maintain certain rights over their students’ data.
WE DO adhere to the 2020 Student Privacy Pledge and its set of student data privacy commitments.
WE DO comply with all federal and state student privacy laws.
WE DO de-identify Personal Student Information for product development.
WE DO maintain administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to protect Personal Student Information.
WE DO train all employees who need to access Personal Student Information to perform their job functions effectively and with great respect to privacy.
WE DO use security technologies such as HTTPS and TLS-encryption across our products and services.
WE DO align with the NIST Cyber Security Framework.
Have any additional privacy questions?
Our Privacy Team is dedicated to providing industry-leading service and practices to protect student and school data privacy. If you have any specific questions, please email email@example.com — we’re happy to answer them for you.